08 June 2010

cooking
Welcome to the second installment of ARMOMMY’S monthly meals plan.  If you missed the first month, let me explain the program.  I (Jane) learned early in motherhood, more specifically as food preparer, that if 4 o’clock rolled around and I had no idea what to have for dinner, my late afternoon became a time of stress.  I was not trained to plan and budget meals, and it is one of the single most time and money savers you can do.  You see, I came from a home where my mother was overwhelmed by the task of feeding a family of five.  A good dinner might have been a pound of hamburger fried in a pan, served with catsup, white bread and butter, canned peas and canned peaches.  Just so you know, my mom was a great mom, and we all grew up happy and healthy, so it didn’t do us any harm.  However, I wanted a little more excitement (and nutrition) in the dinners I fed my family, so I created a list of about 10 to 15 recipes that everyone enjoyed and I cycled them through each month and filled in with new ideas or sure-fire ideas such as toasted cheese and tomato soup.  Also, I have always felt that an occasional dinner of Cheerios never hurt anyone.  All that being said, here are the recipes for this month: there are 2 soups, 2 crockpots, 2 salads, 2 pastas, 2 15-minute meals (not including cheerios), 1 cook-with-kids idea and 1 great pot luck or ‘contribution’ idea.  Try a few and choose what you like and be sure you have ingredients to make your 10 to 15 meals around most of the time.  Stock up on each ingredient when you see them on sale, and 4 o’clock will be a much more pleasant time at your home.



No comments:

Post a Comment